Recipe from Autumn 2020 issue of True Natural Health
Base ̶ Gluten free and made with protein-rich ingredients
Pre-heat oven at 170 degrees
- 250 gm soy grits (cracked soy beans – high protein and fibre)
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp lecithin granules
- ¼ cup (in total) of grated cheddar and grated parmesan mixed.
- ½ cup almond meal
- Soak soy grits in boiling water, sufficient to cover them plus 2 cm. Put lid on and leave for 15 minutes, then drain well.
- Press with back of spoon to expel all water.
- Mix drained grits with other base ingredients until combined.
(The variable ingredient is the almond meal. Add enough for good consistency)
- Should be enough to press mixture into 1 large quiche dish
- Bake in oven at 170 °C for approx. 15 ̶ 20 minutes until golden and firm.
- Remove from oven.
- 1½ bunches asparagus, washed, ends snapped.
- 2 shallots
- ½ cup grated cheddar and parmesan cheese
- 2 cups skim or rice milk
- 4 eggs
- ¼ cup water
- Pinch black pepper
- Sweet paprika
- Soften asparagus pieces with boiling water.
- Put asparagus into cooked bases with shallots and cheese.
- Heat milk but do not boil.
- While milk is heating, whisk together eggs, pepper and water.
- Add heated milk to egg mixture and whisk to combine
- Pour heated milk-egg mixture gently over asparagus, shallots and cheese in base. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
- Place quiche in pre-heated oven. Cook for 5 ̶ 10 minutes at 170°C, and then reduce to 150°C for 20 ̶ 30 minutes until quiche is barely set ̶ as it will firm up on standing.
- Remove from oven to rest and set.
- When warm and firm, cut into slices and serve with salad.