We love lemons here in Australia where many of us can grow them in our own back yard. They are available all year round and a whole lemon or the juice can be frozen if you have a surplus. You can use the peel, the flesh and the juice in a wide variety of drinks and food recipes and it has been used for its medicinal value and cleaning properties for centuries.
Add half of a fresh squeezed lemon to about 500mls of warm or hot water and drink before breakfast.
Drinking lemon juice with warm water on an empty stomach every morning will boost your digestive system. Lemons contain citric acid which has an acidic pH but small amounts mixed with water can have an alkalizing effect when it’s digested.
Here are a dozen reasons from various sources for making this your morning routine. Or even better if it is your partner’s routine and you get it brought to your bedside!
- As a rich source of vitamin C, lemon juice protects the body from Immune system deficiencies.
- It helps in maintaining the pH balance of the body.
- With its powerful antibacterial properties, lemon juice helps fight infections
- It acts as a detoxifying agent.
- It helps with maintaining digestive health.
- Lemons are a rich source of potassium, calcium, phosphorus and magnesium
- Lemon juice with warm water helps in weight loss as it promotes digestion and increases the metabolic rate.
- It is effective at cleansing the liver as it promotes toxins to be flushed out.
- Lemon’s anti-inflammatory properties help in fighting respiratory tract infections and a sore throat.
- Drinking lemon juice with warm water helps reduce joint and muscle pain.
- It is also good for your dental health as it helps with toothache and prevents gingivitis. However it is better not to brush your teeth straight after drinking lemon juice to prevent tooth enamel being damaged.
- Lemon juice with warm water helps with regular natural bowel movement.