Recipes from Winter 2013 issue if True Natural Health
Recipe supplied by Perfection Fresh Australia Pty Ltd
- 1kg D’VineRipe® truss tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 60 gm Rapadura (unrefined) sugar
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 5 L vegetable stock
- ½ tsp mild red chili flakes
- 50 ml balsamic vinegar
- 100 ml water
- 30 ml extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp white pepper
- Blanch tomatoes in boiling water for 30 seconds. Peel, reserving the skins, then cut tomatoes in half.
- Squeeze pulp and seeds from tomato halves over a bowl so just the flesh remains. Reserve all.
- Heat oil in a saucepan until hot then add tomato flesh, onions and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, tomato paste, cumin, curry powder, chili flakes, salt, pepper and stock. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth. Strain and discard any solids.
- In a saucepan bring reserved tomato skin, seeds and pulp to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Strain and discard solids.
- Return liquid to the saucepan and add balsamic. Reduce until syrupy.
Serve soup hot or chilled, drizzled with tomato and balsamic syrup
NOTE: d’VineRipe® truss tomatoes are grown in state-of-the-art glasshouse at Two Wells, South Australia, and are available year round. They are ripened on the vine.
Serves 6 – 8.